
So back in December when I went to Jax for the ACC championship game I get an e-mail from one of the D.C. Radio stations I had been listening to recently, 94.7 The Globe (they have just recently changed their name to that) saying that I had won tickets to the Ron White Show at the Warner Theatre on Dec 2. I was a little put out since I was in Jacksonville and would not be able to make the show, but I almost immediately got a follow up e-mail saying they made a mistake and the show was March 2! well I get a call on Wed. that the tickets were for the Thursday night show. Anyway I make it to the Warner Theatre tonight expecting some mediocre seats (since I still had no clue how I won the tickets) and what did I get but tickets for the front row center stage! We were here

I could reach out and touch the stage if I had wanted to. This made for a rather interesting night. First due to weather and traffic we arrived late and instead of waiting for a break they escort us down to our seats in the middle of the opening act, Alex Reymundo who was quite funny and was gracious enough not to make a big deal about us arriving late (fortunately I do not think this was the type of show to single out audience members). After The opening act Ron White comes on stage and I must say he is every bit as funny in person as he is on TV. As with most comedians his stage act is a little raunchier than what you see on TV, but not nearly as over the top as others I have see. At one point in the show he is discussing the color coded states of awareness they have here in the U.S. and how confusing it is. compliments of the location of the seats he looks straight at me and says, “Sir, did you know there are 5 states of awareness”. I must have had a dumb look on my face or he didn’t care because he immediately say, “you didn’t know that”. truth be told I did not. I knew of green, yellow, orange and red; i was clueless about the 5th which is blue. that was pretty much the only time he directly addressed the crowd without prompting. The other time of note was a guy sitting one row behind me and two seats to my right was becoming quite annoying yelling stuff out to Ron who at one point had enough and called him out and embarrassed the stew out of him. One thing that impressed me with Ron’s act was there there were two times that he fouled up the joke or mixed up words, and he jumped right in and started making fun of himself making those two parts some of the funniest of the evening. We also continued to reference those foul ups throughout the show which made for a good inside joke between him and the audience.

No comments:
Post a Comment