Thursday, July 09, 2009

P.S. In the technical world

I had not seen anyone use p.s. (post script, for those not verse in
this antiquated abbreviation) in quite some time. I understand the use
of it and I understand it's purpose in hand written or even typed
letters where adding the thought into the letter would require going
back and rewriting the entire letter. What I can not understand is the
use of P.S. In todays technological world where inserting a thought
simply requires moving a cursor and maybe reorganizing some sentence
struture to accomodate the new thought. I suppose there is a place for
it as a punchline, a tongue-in-cheek joke between friends, but
certainly not used in a professional environment. Furthermore, if you
do insist on giving a nod to history and using P.S. In a professional
letter or e-mail at the very least make certain you emply it
correctly. A post script comes at the end of the letter after your
closing. To place a post script after the main body and before the
formal closing simply means you do not know what you are doing. This
is not a thought that occured after the fact, but simply a thought
that occured towards the end of the letter/e-mail; don't be lazy write
a new paragraph and include a the thought. I understand with the
signature block in e-mails that you are not ever real putting your own
formal closing to the message, all that means is that any true post
script would have to come after you sent the e-mail and would be
contained in a follow up message. In short i see no point to post
scripts in today's technological world outside of a joke (this
sentence is a perfect example since I added it after the fact, but
before making the post). Maybe I am just being too stubborn on this,
please if you think I am wrong please share your thoughts and explain
your take.

Kirby

No comments: